Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.
Every year on February 14th massive numbers of Dubliners and tourists alike congregate at White-friars St Church to celebrate St Valentine's day. The remains of St Valentine are reputed to rest in a casket in the church. Numerous relics surrounded by candles burn in front of his statue.
The legend of St Valentine declares he was executed in 270AD for performing Christian marriage ceremonies at a time when being Christian was a deadly risk. In 1835, Pope Gregory gave permission for his grave to be opened in Rome and the remains sent to Dublin for veneration.
The Shrine to St Valentine is found on the right hand side of the church as one enters the main body of the church. The casket sits beneath the marble altar in a niche which is protected by an ornate iron and glass gate. Above the altar stands the life-sized statue of the saint set into a marble mosaic alcove. The saint is also barefoot. The casket is wooden and on top bears the papal coat of arms of Gregory XVI along with two large gold plates which have the letter of Cardinal Odescalchi inscribed in English upon them. Between these to plates and beneath the papal crest is a smaller plate with the inscription: This shrine contains the sacred body of Saint Valentinus the Martyr, together with a small vessel tinged with his blood.
Add a Comment