liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

One of very favorite Irish dishes is Beef with Guinness. It can be made as a stew of sorts or as a filling in a meat pie. I make this every St. Patricks Day along with the customary Boiled dinner (corned beef or ham with potatoes , carrots, cabbage)
Anyway here's my recipe:

Beef & Guinness Stew Recipe

Ingredients
2 pounds lean stewing beef
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
1-1/4 cups Guinness stout beer
2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
Sprig of thyme

Instructions
Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture.

Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.

Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary.

Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender -- 2 to 3 hours. The stew may be cooked on top of the stove or in a low oven at 300 degrees F. Taste and correct the seasoning. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

There are some modifications that I make to this recipe:

I use pearl onions, baby carrots, and sometimes I add new potatoes (very small)
Oh, and I don't use just a pinch of cayenne, I use several pinches!
and I bake it in a dutch oven and not on the stove top.

I know you'll love this recipe!

Views: 533

Replies to This Discussion

Yes Robert this is a good recipe. When my husband and I came back from Ireland last summer we had to try some recipes after eating at Guinness's brewery. This was one of them. When my mom was alive I use to ask her for some Irish recipes and she said no not bother the food was plain. After being in Ireland and eating the great food I discovered that many of the dishes we ate in Ireland where dishes very close to the ones my mom made...she hated her cooking...anyone else that ate her food still talks about it to this day and misses it. I did connect to the food in Ireland.

Pat Moore, I know this is an old post, but I hope you're still monitering.  I can identify with how your mom felt about her own cooking.  Most of the dinners I make are the ones I grewup with and was getting tired of them.  I started looking for new reciepes in an Irish cookbook, and found the reciepes I've been making all this time! (hahaha)

This sounds really good. I'm going to try this with a chuck roast.
It works well with chuck roast or, if you can find one,a blade roast. The Blade is a closer cut to the Rib eye (the 7 bone is the other way and not as tender). It's one of those secrets that only your butcher knows about and is usually priced similarly to a chuck roast or 7 bone.
Oh, this stew sounds so good! I guess I'll be making this next St. Patrick's Day. I have a few irish recipes; although I'm not sure just how authentic they are: Mostly candy and cake etc. as I have a terrible sweet tooth. :-) I'll dig them up and post them later.
I've made this dish a bit differently. I leave out the cayenne, tomato puree and along with the thyme, I add bay leaf.

For the veggies I also like to use peas along with those you've listed. I'll sometimes use lamb instead of beef or on occasion, a combination of both, along with a little stock. I like to use a nice full stock from roasted beef/lamb bones and aromatic veggies, (onions, carrots and tomatos). It just rounds out the flavour so much more, I think.

Any cut of meat can be used and slow cooker (crock pot), or pressure cooker works especially well on the cheaper cuts of meat, (if you don't have either of those, run out now and get one. They are indespensable). The important thing is when cooking with an alcoholic beverage that you allow ample amount of cooking time for the alcohol to "cook out" and the foundation flavor and sugars of the beverage, to marry the base and permiate the rest of the ingredients.

It is yummy though, I usually always cook my beef short ribs in this manner, also... Actually, it's suppose to be a bit cold and rainy this weekend, here in Boston. I think I know what I'm going to make for sunday dinner now. Mmmm...

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service