liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Overheard at my daughter's Irish dance class, the mothers all in debate about which recipe would be best at their school event. So many wnated to make scones and this fueled great debate wehn I said I had never had scones without honey, a glaze as it were and they all looked at me as if were half mad---
I do not have time ot bake anymore, but would love ot know how ot make scones quickly, simply and cheaply--any advise?

Views: 228

Replies to This Discussion

Bisquick has a recipe on the side of the container. Can't get any easier than that. Or try;
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbs sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup firm butter
1 lg egg
1/2 raisins or currants
4-6 tbs half & half
honey to glaze

oven to 400
mix dry mix wet
add just enough half & half to ball dough (leaves side of bowl)
knead lightly on floured surface
ungreased cookie sheet
cut wedges

bake 14-16 min
serve warm, drowning in honey and tea
Felicia, I've been making Irish soda bread for years and have on occasion made scones. As I remember, the recipe is very similar but scones are flavored with different fruits etc and formed into wedges. I've made them with orange peel, cranberries etc and yes a glaze is preferred. Honey does sound like a good glaze although I've used a simple icing, or just serve them with butter and preserves.
I'll check to see if I can find my recipe and post it.

BTW, I think the bisquick will work just fine. Me mudder just ploped em down on a bakin sheet and popped them in the oven and we ate em with orange marmalade and butter, yum!
Here's a recipe that looks like the one I have tucked away somewhere (Ihave no idea at this point! LOL) Anyway, give this one a try, I think it's a good one.

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup cream
1 egg
Handful dried currants or dried cranberries

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening. In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Stir in fruit. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out and cut into biscuit size rounds. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.

note: I usually roll the dough out into a large round and cut it into wedges (like cutting a pie) and bake.
Thanks so much--sounds yummy!
OMG! I love marmelade!

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service