liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Picked up a recipe book at Kate Kernan's Cottage and when I got back to Canada, I discovered that it was written in German. hahahaha
I would love a good recipe for Soda Bread. I don't want to use those prepackaged ones. As of March 27/08 I am standing up to my mouth in Soda Bread recipes.
Please just start a new Discussion if you have something else tasty to share and we can all take a look.

Views: 65

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't had great success with regular soda bread, but I do have a good recipe for a brown bread. And if you look over on my page, I've blogged a recipe for tea brack (a raisin bread that can be a fruitcake--with or without whiskey). anyway...

2 cups of white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 3/4 cup buttermilk

Combine flour, salt, powder, soda and sugar. Cut in butter. Add egg to buttermilk and beat lightly. Gradually add milk mixture to dry ingredients. Form into two round loaves on a greased cookie sheet. Dough is very sticky, so you may want to use a little extra flour for this. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
I was given a sod bread recipe by a friend as long as I shared it....so here is...

TROLL'S OWN IRISH SODA BREAD

2 cups w/w flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4tbsp butter
1 cup raisins
1 egg
2 cups buttermilk

preheat oven at 425 F
stir the dry ingredients together
beat honey, milk and egg
make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture
mix the flour from the sides of bowl
knead lightly 5 min and pat into a round ball about 1 1/2 " deep on a baking sheet
with a sharp knife, cut the dough 1/2' deep
bake at 375 F for 25-30 min.

let it cool a little before you eat it
Hi all!
I have a recipe for Irish cream. Sort of like Baileys.
1 3/4 c. liquor (Irish whiskey, rye, rum, bourbon or scotch)
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 c. whipping or light cream
4 eggs
2 tbsp. chocolate syrup
2 tsp. instant coffee
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
In blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Store tightly covered in refrigerator up to 1 month. Shake well before serving.
This is great in coffee
IRISH SODA BREAD

1 lb (450g) wholemeal flour
4oz (110g) plain flour
2oz (50g) rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 quarters of a pint (450ml) buttermilk

Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add enough buttermilk to form a soft dough and turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead the dough very lightly and do not overwork or bread will develop gluten and become tough.
Shape into a large round and place on a greased baking tray. Cut a deep cross in the top of the round.

Bake at 450F/230C for 8-15 minutes. reduce temperature to 400F/200C for 20-25 minutes until load sounds hollow when tapped underneath.

Eat whilst still warm!
ooo That sounds good Nikkie! I think I'll have to try that :-)
Thanks!
Hey Gregory if you give me your email address I have many pages of Irish receipes I can send you.
Have a good day!
Carol
I Don't have any Irish Recipies I'm afraid, except for one's from books.
But i would love to hear other peoples. I love getting recipes from people, because then they are at least tried and true(ish).
I have noticed it's hard to get recipe's sometimes as people don't want to let them go (as if they would loose credit or something...not sure).
Anyhow, I really appreciat that you guys are all willing to share. For someone who is new to cooking it means a lot and helps a lot! :-)
If I do come accross some recipe's that I like and work well I will definately share!
I know what you mean! Personally I think that it is silly, what there momma didn’t teach em how to share or something! I have this recipe yeast rolls, only they are in the form of a trinity knot. They are beautiful. I will put it on here for everyone. Only I have to get my hubby to fix it for God only know I stink at making breads! Lol!
Wow Nikki,
Thanks for the recipes, I will try them both out. I have a little Baileys left over from the holiday and have a recipe for one hiding somewhere.
Hope the new year is good to everyone. Lol
Here are some Receipes you can enjoy for St. Patricks Day or any day!

Corned Beef and Cabbage

This is a great Irish meal for St. Patrick's Day.

Ingredients
2 1/2 - 3 lbs. of corned beef
3 x-large potatoes, Or red potatoes
6 carrots
2 heads of cabbage

Directions
Place your corn beef in crock-pot and add warm water, just covering the beef. Cook this on low heat for 8 hours. On the last 1/2 hour, add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage and then it will be done. Enjoy!
A can of beer can be added instead of warm water. You can add a half of a bottle of pickling spice for added flavor.

Cook Time: 8 Min
Servings: 6

Irish Cookies
Ingredients
8 oz. cream cheese
4 tbsp. butter
2 1lb. boxes powder sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
16 oz. flaked coconut
3 oz. cinnamon

Directions
In a sauce pan on low flame melt butter adding vanilla, and cream cheese, mixing until smooth. Add sugar 1 box at a time, mixing until creamy. Add in the coconut, mix well, and chill for 45 minutes. Roll chilled "dough" into small balls and roll in cinnamon. Serve chilled, enjoy! Recipe makes about 8 dozen.

Prep Time: 15 Min
Servings: 24

Boiled Irish Dinner
Description
Satisfying, warm stew-like meal.

Ingredients
1 lb. Polish or smoked sausage
1 medium sliced onion
1 small head cabbage, sliced
4-5 medium carrot rounds
4-5 cubed potatoes
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Slice sausage, carrots, and onion and place in large pot, just covered with water. Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes. Add potatoes and simmer rapidly 10 more minutes. Add cabbage and simmer rapidly 5-10 more minutes. Taste for seasoning. Serve. Best with corn bread or hard rolls!!

Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 30 Min
Total Time: 45 Min
Servings: 4

Holiday Irish Creme

Description
Great Holiday Irish Creme made with Jameson.

Ingredients
1/2 cup Jameson's Irish Whiskey
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 pint of Coffee Rich non-dairy creamer (frozen food section)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (to taste)

Directions
Mix all ingredients in a blender and serve chilled.

Prep Time: 5 Min
Servings: 20

Irish Mashed Potatoes
Description
Mashed potato dish with cabbage - both staples of an Irish kitchen.

Ingredients
6 large potatoes
1 small head of cabbage
8 green onions
salt and pepper, to taste
milk, to taste
1 stick margarine

Directions
Clean and trim the cabbage, cut into quarters and boil until it is fork tender. While cabbage is cooking, peel, quarter and boil potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain potatoes and whip with salt, pepper, 1 stick margarine, and milk to taste. Drain the cabbage - I blot it until it is almost dry with paper towels. On lowest mixer setting mix the cabbage into the mashed potatoes. Chop the whites of 8 or 10 green onions very fine and mix them into the potatoe and cabbage mix.

Servings: 6

Irish Oatmeal Pancakes

Description
Healthy hardy low calorie breakfast meal

Ingredients
2 pkg Irish Oatmeal flavor of choice
1/4 cup flour
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
2tbl sugar
1/4 cup yogurt
About 1 cup milk

Directions
Mix all ingredients and let stand for about 10 minutes. Med heat setting and to size desired.

Servings: 2
Wow Carol, those all look so good. I'm going to put my chef hat on and try some of them for sure!!!
10 Cocktails For The Irish In Everyone

Perfect for St. Patrick's, choose whiskey, Irish cream or a drink with a wee bit of green
Irish whiskey elevates coffee and tea to luxurious standards...
...while Midori liqueur or green creme de menthe make cocktails green and tasty.

By Rose Kennedy
Drink me, I'm Irish! Whether the lure is Irish spirits — Bushmills whiskey to Baileys — or a festive green color, here are the ideal cocktails for St. Patrick's Day gatherings.

Care to toast Emerald Isle-style before you sip? As they say in Ireland, "May you live as long as you want, And never want as long as you live."

Wild Irish Rose

A tart St. Patrick's cocktail for the lasses

To make the drink a little less tart, try hand-squeezed blood orange juice in place of the lemon juice.

This sweet and sour cocktail has the strength of whiskey...but it's still pretty and pinkish!

Ingredients:

2 oz. Irish whiskey
1/4 oz. lemon juice
1/2 oz. grenadine
2 oz. soda water

Pour all ingredients in an old-fashioned glass that's three-quarters full of ice. Stir and serve.

Bushmills O'Thenthic Irish Kiss

Trendy peach schnapps locks lips with traditional Irish whiskey.

A lot of the flavor comes from the whiskey — experiment with other varieties, but make sure they're Irish!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Bushmills Irish whiskey
1 oz. peach schnapps
2 oz. orange juice
5 oz. ginger ale

Mix ingredients in tumber with ice and garnish with a wedge of lime.

Irish Flag Shooter

Don't wave this flag--drink the delicious mint, cream and Grand Marnier combo.

This drink's sweet, but not for sippers!

Bartender magazine shares this recipe, a great way to wow partygoers as the three ingredients separate into distinct stripes of green, white and orange, just like the Irish flag.

Ingredients:

1 oz. Green Creme de Menthe
1 oz. Carolans Irish Cream
1 oz. Grand Marnier.

Pour ingredients in order. Serve in tumbler.

Green Eyes Cocktail

Put some lime — and lime green — into this coconut Midori cocktail.
Use leftover Midori in spritzers — just add champagne, ginger ale or club soda over ice.

The Midori melon liqueur company concocted this unusual tropical cocktail made green with Midori and potent with rum.

Ingredients:

3/4 oz. Midori
1 oz. rum
1/2 oz. coconut cream
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. pineapple juice

Method: stir.

Serve in old-fashioned glass.

Garnish: pineapple wedge

Emerald Gem Champagne Cocktail

A toast to a light drink that's still sparkly green!

If you don't have fresh mint on hand for garnish, fake it with a bit of fresh basil.

Ingredients:

5-6 oz champagne
1 tablespoon green creme de menthe

Chill champagne.

Add creme de menthe to glass or flute, top with champagne and stir slightly.

Irish Coffee

Ingredients:

8 oz. hot coffee, black
1-1/2 oz. Irish whisky
1 tsp. sugar
whipped cream

Tools:

Irish coffee cup

Place 1 tsp. sugar in the bottom of an Irish coffee cup. Add 1-1/2 oz. Irish whisky and let it dissolve the sugar. Pour in 8 oz. piping hot coffee. Top it off with a heaping spoonful of whipped cream.

Irish Tea Hot Cocktail

Hit hot tea with some Irish whiskey!

For a soothing St. Patrick's, serve guests Irish Tea with scones or shortbread.

A favorite of the Spirits of Gillet caterers in "brrr, I'm cold" Gillet, Wis., the Irish tea habit is also alive and well on the Emerald Isle. Super simple if you use tea bags, but why not make this cocktail extra-special by brewing up a pot of loose-leaf Irish tea before adding the whiskey?

Ingredients:

1 sugar packet or teaspoon granulated sugar
1-1/2 oz. Jameson Irish Whiskey

Fill mug with hot tea to 1/2-inch from top, leaving the tea bag in the mug. Garnish with cinnamon stick.

B-52

Ingredients:

2 oz. Kahlúa
1 oz. Bailey's Irish Cream
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier

Tools:

frappé glass
bar spoon

Pour 2 oz. Kahlúa in a shot glass. Place the bar spoon against the inside of the glass, concave side down, and drizzle 1 oz. Bailey's very slowly down the back of the spoon so that it does not mix with the Kahlúa, but rather floats on top. Repeat with 1/2 oz. Grand Marnier.

Note: Don't forget the rule of layering drinks — the densest liqueurs go in the bottom and use a bar spoon to drizzle the remaining ingredients.

Baby Guinness

Ingredients:

3/4 oz. Kahlúa
1/2 oz. Bailey's Irish Cream

Tools:

shot glass
bar spoon

Pour 3/4 oz. Kahlúa in a shot glass. Place the bar spoon against the inside of the glass, concave side down, and drizzle about 1/2 oz. Bailey's very slowly down the back of the spoon so that it does not mix with the Kahlúa but rather floats on top.

Baileys Irish Martini

All-Irish liquor in a simple cocktail preparation
Substitute brewed decaf for the coffee if you want to skip the jolt.

This three-ingredient recipe comes straight from the files of the Baileys Irish company and it's both spirited and simple, with coffee for an extra kick.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 oz. Baileys Irish cream
3/4 oz. Bushmills Original Irish Whiskey
shot of strong, cold coffee

Instructions:
Drop some ice cubes into a shaker and pour over Baileys.

Add Bushmills Original Irish Whiskey, then a shot of strong cold coffee.

Shake vigorously and serve in a martini glass.

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service