liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Have you lived or are living in Ireland or maybe thinking about it. This is the place to exchange thoughts, information, experiences or humour. Go On, Go On, Go On, Go on, You Will, You Will, You Will!

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

wow Allison, it definately sounds like you had a great time there. I had forgotten about the wild fuscias, they added a nice bit of color to the roadsides. I only remember seeing them in and close to the towns though. It seemed once you left the road or were on the road but quite a ways from a town, there would be less and less of the plants.
I have had black and white pudding and, much to my surprise, I actually liked it! Tasted much like a spicy, flavorful sausage...not at all like what I would call a pudding. The Black is especialy high in iron. A friend of mine used to eat it on a regular basis due to the fact she was somewhat anemic.
Hi Amanda,
I am curious about your move to Ireland. I gather you have no relatives there or housing wouldnt be an issue. You need to remember that you can stay only 3 months at a time but I found that the local Guardi can continue the time on your passport. Where exactly are you planning to move to in Ireland and what will you be doing there? To work in Ireland you first have to find a job and then the employer has to get your work permit for you. In no way do I wish to discourage you because the 6 months I spent in Kerry were awesome. You just need to be prepared. Winter is VERY cold so pack accordingly...also wet. The better prepared you are the more fun you will have. The people are very friendly.
Amanda,
What site did you find that has job listings? I am trying to do the same thing as you, only sadly I don't have family there. I know a few people there, but same boat as you, don't really want to intrude. I read the whole "must have an employer send in for a work permit" thing as well, but wasn't quite sure how that would work, or how many employers would be willing to actually do that!
I was thinking of staying a year and seeing how it goes. I didn't know the whole 3 month thing, that might be dificult, I don't know how long the Guardi would be willing to extend a passport and visa :-S
For me, the important thing is finding a job first as I don't have the money to go over there and not have means. Or at least have enough money saved up to pay all my bills for a month if I can't find a job right off.
If you have family in Ireland you can apply possibly for dual citizenship which make finding a job much better because you can go to their equivalent to our Employment development centers. They will not help if you are not a citizen however. I believe you have to have parents or grandprents who are from Ireland to apply for the dual citizenship. Finding a job may prove difficult unless you know someone in Ireland who can help. I also remember something about the job skills had to be something that were not ones that an Irish national could provide...sort of like immigrating to australia policies. While i was there, jobs were scarse and they were mostly hiring people form Poland etc who's countries belong to the EU. I do not know if any of these things are the same now but it was that way when I was there a few years ago. Many of the european immigrants to ireland that I met were very highly educated and still only finding jobs as waitresses etc...which was better than the no job they could find in their own country. I suggest that you have enough money to live longer than a month on your savings if you really want to go. Study the area that you are interested in living in . rent is expensive, food isn't bad price wise..they have sales like we do. Clothing is fairly cheap. Heating bills are high...multiple radiators in some places. Eating out can be expensive but most pubs have daily specials. I suggest you take a recipie book that tells you how to make some of the things you really like here. You will need a converion table from metric to cup, onces etc. Your american hair styling things such as blow dryers etc wont work there so spend the money to buy a really good electrical converion set that plugs into their out lets. Let me tell you, I tried cheap and I wound up with a burned up blowdryer, and 3 curling irons...and to replace them in Ireland will cost you dearly. Better to buy a really good set ahead of time... trust me. Also you might want to buy a really good, water proof, down filled coat and an umbrella. taxi's are readily available and so are busses generally. You'll need to take an pertinent medical info with you as well and when you decide where you are staying you will need to locate a good surgery (doctors office). I believe I paid about 20 euro per visit. meds are not cheap generally and they do not necessarily have the same ones there as they do here but your doctor or pharmacy will look it up and do their best at equivalent alternatives. One suggestion I have is to find a place as close as you are able to a major shopping center or market...because you will be lugging your stuff home via taxi or bus otherwise. Hope this helps. Best of luck...it's a worthwhile endeavor.
All great advice Allison!
I read the something about needing to have a skill that an Irish national does not already have. It's not nessisarily something you have to be hugely concerned with for employers wanting to just hire Irish nationals, I think it's more getting the work visa but I'm not sure. I think the work visa is good for 6 months maybe? I was having a bit of a hard time trying to figure out what exactly to do to get a work visa, especially since I don't have family living there. Still don't quite have it figured out.
Well thats the sticky part. You have to have an employer and then they apply for your work permit. Most jobs were going to non irish but EU members countrymen and women. I met a lawyer who was working as a waitress, a woman who had a doctorate in nutrition who was serving burgers...the point is their is a huge influx of people immigrating for working reasons to ireland. Even thought Ireland and America are in good standing with each other, jobs go to EU folks first. You might ask Erin if she knows anyone who might give you a job. What is it that you do...work wise in the states? I will try my contacts as well but it takes awhile sometimes...and I need to know what sort of job your wanting.
I have a BS in Anthropology/Archaeology (need to get my masters to actually have it do me any good though apparently). Right now I'm working in an admin assistant type position, but I worked with Parks and Rec for quite a few years and then in coffee shops for about 5 years when I was in school. I don't really have the money saved up as of yet to take the 'go to another country and work' challenge, but I would like to in the next year or so. I definately want to be prepared before I go there (I would have been a great boy scout...except for that whole have to be a boy thing lol).
LOL...it's always good to go prepared..my purse is evidence of that. :)
It is nice to have stuff when you need it isn't it. Like being able to save the day because you happen to have a safety pin in your purse!
So yeah, I guess it would be good to plan on NOT getting a job for a few months and be pleasently surprised if I do, rather than unpleasently surprised if I don't get one right away. I don't know what an employer has to do to apply for my work permit. it might be a hassle most of them won't want to deal with :-(
Follow your dreams girls...you will never be sorry you did...only if you never tried. Guess we will just have to start researching this more. One thing I just thought about was that your passport stamp allows you to stay in the country for 3 months...so leave for a weekend and then come back thru? LOL. Actually, the Guardie are very good about extending stays generally I am told. Still a weekend jaunt to somewhere doesnt cost a lot from there sooooooo....:) We should be experts by the time we have this all sorted out I think.
LoL you are right! By the time we all have it figured out we will have to write a book (not to be confused with the book Amanda just wrote hehe jk Amanda)!
I think I have 1 year to figure it out.
Thanks for the link and the book title Amanda! I will see if one of the local book stores here has it. It's to bad about not being eligable for citizenship, but I have to say I'm jealous that you are at least close. I am not close to citizenship anywhere (except the US). I think I have the following things: English, Scottish, Irish, German, Native American, Czheclslevakian (sorry about the spelling there), French....um, I think that's it...might be missing one, don't remember.
I'm seriously considering moving to Ireland in another year or so.

Right now, I'm working towards my Bachelor's degree at Harvard, majoring in Celtic Studies while working full time at an investment firm. :) Once all that is settled, if my daughter will be happy there, then I'm packing my things and moving over from Boston.

I'd like to stay in the East-- not IN Dublin but near it... I am completely enamored with Meath (Navan area particularly) and Skerries, Co. Dublin.

With my Portuguese Citizenship, I've been told it shouldn't be TOO much of a controversy to move... though I'm still expecting some.

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service