liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Well, I admit that there are no red stag or peat bogs or heather to hunt in in the U.S. but we do have grouse and other game animals - just like in Eire. Last week I went to Kansas for pheasant and quail. It was tough hunting and one of the best trips I have taken. I would like a new pheasant recipe if anyone has one. I fry everything but would like to try a good Irish recipe for pheasant - if there is such a thing.

Tags: cooking, game, hunting, recipes

Views: 157

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, I get it. The Irish drink so much because their cooking is mediocre. Still, there must be some recipes out there somewhere. Maybe a Southern Georgia girl married an Irishman, moved to Ireland and made up some new recipes for potatoes, grouse, mutton or something. I'm grasping...throw me a rope.
Hi, well I am not good at hunting but I can clean anything you put in front of me.
Irish Pheasant
• 1 whole pheasant, trimmed (about 2 pounds)
• 2 slices bacon
• 1 tablespoon melted butter
• 1 medium all-purpose potato, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into chunks
• I/2 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons diced scallion onion
• salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup apple juice
• 1 cup brown stock
• 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
• 1/4 cup seedless red grapes

• Pheasant

• Pre heat oven to 425 degrees F.
• Remove the legs from the pheasant. Insert point of a knife into pheasant where the meaty part of leg meets the breast; slice through skin to hip joint to expose joint. Stick knife directly into the joint and sever leg. Repeat on other side. Trim the legs at the narrow end, and expose the drumstick bone.
• Remove breast meat in one piece by inserting blade of knife fiat along breastbone. Follow contour of the bone with knife, and breast will come away from frame. Repeat on other side. Pull skin from the pheasant breast and discard. Season the breasts with salt and pepper. Wrap the pheasant breasts in the bacon slices.
• Over high heat, sear the pheasant breasts and legs on an ovenproof skillet, place the pheasant in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, baste with melted butter and pan juices during the roasting process. Remove and keep warm.

Potato and Parsnip Puree
1. In a 3-quart saucepan, cook potatoes and parsnip until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain, let dry, and mash until smooth.
2. Place cream in a medium saucepan and over medium heat, bring to a boil. Add potato-and-parsnip puree. Add butter and scallion. Season to stirring well.
Sauce
1. Pour off fat from skillet. Deglaze with stock. Add apple juice and simmer gently over medium heat, 2 minutes.
2. Strain stock into a separate saucepan add cream and reduce to a thick consistency.
3. Add the apple and grapes and heat, 30 seconds

Hope you enjoy.
That is great! I printed it out for my wife ( an excellent cook). She said that she would guarantee that I will love it. She is very intrigued by the use of apples and grapes in the puree. I have a few (20!) birds in the freezer at the moment so we should try your recipe soon. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
Going to try this one with some Pheasant from an Organci Butchers here in Dublin. I'll let you know how I got on. Maybe video it!!??? D.
Duck season here next week...Can't wait!!
Have any of you tried dutch oven cooking your fowl? I have a few recipes and will post them when I get home. They come out very tender and so easy, just put in the oven and wait for the time to pass.

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service