liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

I have made a new group reserved for musicians Called 'General Musician Chat'. I have included in it an upload your own music section, a song request section, and a chat section so far. If anyone would like to join, I will be looking forward to meeting you.

Slan,
~SHawn McCoy

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

Good idea, Shawn McCoy.
Here is a music question. How do you put together tune Sets. Deciding which tune will play well with which.
I have found that placing tunes in the same key or with similar openings makes it sound to the untrained ear like you are playing the same tune with variations.
I might play 2 em tune and then move to a different key and/or a different rythmn.
Good question, NIta..!
Very recently (like yesterday evening.!), I had to deal with similar concerns about tunes and keys... because when you play on stage and not being fortunate enough to have two (or more) violins, each one tuned in a different tuning, the last thing you want is to change your instrument's tuning after every tune..! It is never pleasant either for you or the public...!
And I agree with you : successive tunes in the same key, might sounds very similars one from each other for any *untrained* ears, like you said... and even for trained ears on a non-fiddle player head..! ;-)
Changing rythmns when playing in a specific tuning (for example A-D-A-D or A-D-A-E), might be an efficient solution... So you might consider playing a reel, then a jig, then another reel, after what you can play a waltz... doing so, untrained ears might stay in-tune with you...!!! And if you introduce
individually your tunes, that might helps too..! ;-)
But then, after few tunes, you will have to change tuning..! But at least, you were ok to play few successives tunes in the same key, before considering to switch your tuning... ;-)
wwm
P.s. I think I will duplicate that message (along with yours) into the *different tunings* section..! ;-)

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service