liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Just coming to the end of Michael Collins and the Making of a New Ireland and will probably re-read ,Planxty by Leagues O Toole.

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jefferson Airplane predates "Revolver", I grew up in California and it had something of its own scene.  Currently reading "Built for Speed, a year in the life of Pronghorn" by John Byers. A really excellent  natural history of an iconic animal of the western plains.

I think you're right,Sean.Though,I'm not sure when the Airplane actually began releasing records,Revolver was recorded in Spring 66 so its a pretty close thing anyway.

Just discovered a band called Espers.Well worth checking out.

Maurice

August of 1965, Marty Balin and Jorma Kaukonen, and Paul Kanttner gave them a folky background.  Kaukonen is still popular making folk rock here. I have found that I have actually heard more of the groups in the book than I initially thought. I like the Espers better than Pearls before Swine.  Might be the speed.  Generally psychedelic was limited to  the effects of LSD, mescalin/peyote,  mushrooms, and medittation. Lots of groups succumbed to downer drugs under the pressure of time and fame, alchahol and heroin mostly. The "Doors" took their name from the book "Doors of Preception" by Aldous Huxely.  Not too overtly pyschedelic when read today, but considered something of a primer in the '60s.

"Sailing From Byzantium: How a Lost Empire Shaped the World" ~ Coling Wells

Haven't read Doors of Perception but have read Timothy Learys The Psychedelic Experience.Ok but I admit I only read this because of Lennon's "connection".

In doing some reading found I needed to Correct the origin of the "Doors" referance, Morrison is said to have taken it from William Blake, maybe Huxeley found it there too.  Currently reading "The Comming of Cuchulain" by Standish O'Grady.  I have translations of the "Tain" and some others of the series, but this being an interpretive novel is very readable.

I'm about half-way done with "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." I have a list of classic books that I'm working through, which I have found to be very enjoyable.

Like your blog, brought back some memmories. Spent 1968 at Ft. Ord, and have walked about every where you could walk there, also spent some time at Ft. Hunter-Ligget on the old Hearst Ranch.  Spent a lot of time in the Sierras as a youth, back packing.  Use horses these days you can see some pix at my site on LI.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!

Wow! It sounds like you've done quite a bit! I rode horses for about 10 years before I had to move off to college, and haven't had an opportunity to pick it up since, but it's something I'm looking forward to doing again.

A book you might like, "Culture of Complaint, The Fraying of America", by Robert Hughes.  An Irish Australian/American. Written in '92 offer very interesting and relevant contrast with today.

Trinity by Leon Uris

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service