liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Recently the Hill of Tara has been under seige due to the motorway invasion. I was there and am appalled by what is happening there. I want to share another piece I wrote in dedication to Tara since I was deeply moved by my visit there in 2005. (The attached file is copyrighted material so I only ask that the reader respect my wishes in not reproducing or transmitting in any form and by any means without written permission from me.) I'm sure many of you have also visited Tara and have feelings about this. What are your feelings about the motorway running through the precious land of the Hill of Tara? To read up on this go to: www.tarawatch.org.

Tags: Here, Tara, at

Views: 96

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alexandre,

Thanks so much for your messages! You can read up on what's happening to the Hill of Tara here: www.tarawatch.org and you can sign the petition why you are there. Stay in touch!
Yes, I have been petitioning like crazy since this highway project began. Its amazing to see the ire of the Irish people go into action preventing the massacre of that sacred and precious land. I will never understand why the Hill of Tara was not made a World Heritage Site long ago...just boggles my mind. Anyway, I will stay on course to help save Tara and do whatever I can. Great to have you as my friend on Live Ireland...such a cool place to make friends! Look forward to chatting with you throughout the year...carry on.

Kathleen
The people with power higher up have lost touch with the spirit of the land...simple as that. They are working on getting it setup as a World Heritage site...I need to check in on that to see where they are in application process. You know I was there and I was deeply touched by the experience....standing there in the ruins of the Banquet Hall and that wonderful, wild Irish wind blowing us to bits. Here's a beautiful video with fabulous music and scenes of the Hill of Tara...hope it plays for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3OCRAfRXgE&feature=PlayList&...
Exquistie piece you have written! I too am mortified that Tara is being ruined. I know members of the Donegal Society have been signing petitions and trying to protest in any manner possible. I fear hope is lost to modernity. I was there, walked the hills, took photos and contemplated the enormity of that which I was akin to--brokenheartedly, I now know my children will never have that feeling as I have been blessed to have experienced there.
Kathleen,
It is wonderful that you are involving youself in this. It is important that everyone makes a stand. Many years ago the Tasmanian government wanted to build a dam on a beautiful Tasmanian river and the actions taken by people here against the dam raised publicity around the world. A case was held over it in the High Court of Australia and the people won. It ended up with a World Heritage listing and the dam being rejected. People can make a difference. I hope that the Hill of Tara remains unspolied when I come to Ireland next year and that it remains that way forever.
David
I'm from the American South and made my first trip to Ireland last year. I read a little about Tara from the short histories but did not know where it was and it was not on the tour I ultimately selected. I was primarily interested because my first love is history and I like seeing the old cultural sites; this was an important one. However, I was always surpised that the site was not pushed more by the tourist companies for the sheer commercial reason that your Tara was undoubtedly the 'inspiration' for John O'Hara to name his plantation Tara in Gone with the Wind. It's pure hollywood but I admit this is a second reason - I also wanted to see the place the plantation was named after. I think others would have too. But I'm unsure now if to bother. It is essential for long term tourism to protect these kind of sites.
Didn't I also read that the ancient kings of Ireland were also crowned there or no? I was very impressed with the way the tourist facilities were hidden at the Cliffs of Moher. I don't see why the road could not have been buried if it had to go there. Can you, or someone else, give me some insight on how the Irish regard the druid heritage and the Christian heritage today with respect to each other? How religious is Ireland today? Are the young and old more like the French now?
Once you are standing there on the Hill of Tara then you will understand the greatness and power of its appeal. I never understood why the 'higher ups' in Ireland did not establish it as a World Heritage Site long ago...there is no place like Tara anywhere else in the world and Alexandre is correct in expressing the importance of it being the 'fifth country' of Ireland and once upon a time seat of the High Kings of Ireland. It is tragic that they have allowed a motorway anywhere near it. As for the Tara from Gone With the Wind, go here to read the whole story of the film and the house: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Plantation. What a shame that Tara's (Hollywood Set) plantation home was destroyed...today they could've preserved it. Thanks for your nice response to the poem. : )
Kathleen , Read your email and looked up some more info on the internet. I 'm planning a trip to Ireland in July or August. I think I'll see about including Tara on my trip as lagniappe (something extra). I see it's not far from Dublin. Merci to you and Alexandre too. Mike.
Oooh, Mike....you know I'll be with you in spirit....do make an effort to go to the Hill of Tara...you'll not regret it and then when you get back home, please fill me in on your feelings of the experience. Have a safe and wonderful visit to Ireland!

Slante,

Kathleen
Hi Kathleen, I just noticed that you're from South Carolina. I'm from Louisiana and live north of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain but I went to law school in Columbia and spent all my summers in or near Charlotte (working security at Carowinds-is it still open?) Loved Charleston. Anyway, I'll be lealving the oil slick for the volcanic ash but I'll be okay. My trip last year was on a tour from Dublin to Galway and points south but I added Co. Donegal to see that part of Ireland plus a festival. Great time there. I'll let you know about this trip. Thks again. Mike
Tara,
It seems that authorities and governments the world over continue to blindly make decisions that destroy the past in the name of so-called progress. Just today the Tasmanian government have announced that a bypass on our major highway will continue on the planned route despite archaeological digs uncovering aboriginal artefacts and evidence of 40,000 years of human occupation of the area. A bridge is planned to be built with tonnes of rock covering 50% of this unique heritage in order to take the shortest and cheapest route over what is the oldest known site of human occupation in the southern hemipshere. http://www.treatyrepublic.net/content/tasmanian-bypass-has-massive-... Makes me wonder what sort of world we will leave our children and what they make of the priorities of the adults around them.
David

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service