liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

We are traveling to the southwest area of Ireland in late August. Our first three days have us in Cork City, we want to experience the small villages and the people there. We are flying in to Shannon and catching a bus to Cork. We plan on motoring up the coast to the Dingle Peninsula, Doolin, catching a ferry to the Aran Islands, and ending back at Shannon. We have ten days; any advice on great places to see and hear traditional Irish music. We are from Nashville Tennessee so we aren't looking for country music.

Many thanks,
Jamie

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a museum just outside Cork in Cobh if you like history. The museum is the site where many immigrants fled Ireland for Canada, England and the US during the famine. The Cliffs of Moor a must see. The American Pub on Aran Island-Inish Mor a must--best fish and chips EVER! Dingle is a trip unto itself and the ferry is fantastic--look for Fungi the dolphin!
I am sure eeryone here will have loads and loads of advice and places to see--I have 100's more in my head, but check out Frommers too--they offer intimate saving ideas and places to stay-things ot see that closely resemble an itinerary of an Irish family on vacation within country.
Thanks for the info. I have read several books on what to see, it can get confusing. If you have anymore thoughts please send them my way.

Cheers,
Jamie
Jamie--Let me know what you like to do and I will see if I can work out a mock up itinerary so you can see how far/close things are. There is so much to do in Ireland and while the Southwest is quite beautiful and truly my favorite area, there is a great deal you can do inland as well-the Burren is a long drive, but the moonscape is exciting of you walk on it, and search for its treasures--in the summer the fauna/floral that hides under the rocky surface is really pretty, and to stand above the ocean at its edge--well what can I say. Do you fish or want to ride horses or mostly sight see and visit the local life?
Felicia,

Thanks in advance for all your information. My idea of this trip is to photograph the beautiful landscapes, the architecture and the people. Since we are there for only 10 days we want to stay on the coast of the South, Southwest and West. We want to ride bikes, no fishing no horse riding.

Thanks,
Jamie
That's the best way to go--biking on Aran is fun--go see Dun Aengus-the fort on the big island. Galway is a must if you are on the Wets Coast--my favorite city!!!!!
Thanks!
Kilkee, miltown malbay and most of west Clare. You can't beat it.
As to the traditional music: don't forget Gus O'Connor's Pub in Fisherstreet, Doolin (www.gusoconnorsdoolin.com)
The place to be !
Good call Paul!
THANKS everyone for the information!! We are spending three nights in Cork, three in Killarney, three in Galway and the final night in Shannon so we will be near the airport. For the shoppers out there, where are the best places to buy sweaters? I promised my 92 year old mother one.
Believe it or not, you can buy sweaters on line and have them shipped to your door--they can be purchased at Blarney Woolen Mills (tourist shop) or other stores on line and come directly from Ireland. It is less expensive, doesn't take up so much room in your luggage, and they offer the same in store as on-line. If you get to Rana Islands, they have a great sweater shop as does almost every single town--ask a local where to go for best prices vs. tourist prices. Note--Aran sweaters are made with New Zealand wool.

http://www.blarney.com/blarneyshop.htm

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service