liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

How do you communicate here? I see various people leaving comments to others....how do you do that? Or leave a comment or question on the main page?

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I look at your profile for instance, or my own... and I go all the way down... I see a field 'Comment wall'... with a textbox and a 'Leave a comment' button to leave someone a comment.

The wall is marked:
Comment Wall
Leave a Comment for Elaine Strain

I hope this helps...

Jos Kampes
Thanks Jos!
Since oyu started a general question, it is open to anyone ot answer. If oyu want to send a message to someone, you can invite them to be a friend and when they say yes, oyu always have their icon on your page/friends list and can easily choose email or page note. If youo haven't invited friends or accepted any friends yet, oyu can still visit a page and leave a comment--there is usually a comment box that you can type into on each page. Then there are also chat rooms too. I will send oyu a message on your page and see if you can respond to get oyu started.....
Thanks, Slan....popped over there yesterday, but everyone was gone. I'll try again! Have a blessed day!
OMG! Sorry! I thought it was short for a name. I've often signed posts as "Slainte." I didn't recognize slan...again, apologies. Thanks for the salutations...I wasn't aware there were so many! LOL! I think the Gaelic language is beautiful. Wish I could speak it. Of course, then my kids wouldn't know what I was saying, which could work to my advantage. *smile*
I just noticed there's a group here that's learning Gaelic...how fun! Hope I get the time to drop by. You have a blessed day!
Thanks, Alexandre! I think I may need to actually hear some of the words in my learning process. The spelling of words in Gaeilge defies their pronunciation! I may have a little more time after today to pop on over and check out the group...I've decided to drop my online article endeavors. I just can't seem to get the hang of certain aspects of things, and I feel that if you have to struggle over something as hard as I've been struggling, you simply aren't meant to do it. I have many pots in the fire as it is, and I can't pot another pot in that I have to struggle over.
Learning Gaeilge might be quite fun! Look! Thanks to you, I've learned several new words...I have to do it that way, I think, learn a bit at a time. Have a blessed day!
I studiend Irish for three years and let me tell you, I do not concur that it is beautiful but rather extremely gutteral in its composition. It is tough to learn as pronuniation differs depending on tense and sometimes region!
Yikes! Well, you've given me something to think about...I suppose I should focus on learning pronunciations of a certain AREA. You know, come to think of it, the U.S. is a LITTLE like that. I mean, I'm from NE Pennsylvania, where I grew up saying "couch," and "soda," and "bag," etc. Out here in CA, I discovered they say, "sofa," and "pop" and "sack." Stuff like that, but even then there's the odd area where those term are either different or the same as back east. I know that up in Maine and down in the south there's different terms and dialects. I think that's all over.
I may not know alot about what I'm talking about, but as I understand the thing that makes Gaeilge so challenging is that, for many of the world's living language, Latin is the root. For Geailge, that's not the case. Thus, the spelling/pronunciation problem. I'd still like to learn it, as it's the language of my families ancestors. And in some small way, I'd like to keep it alive. but I realize it will be a slow process with me, as I know no other language but English. You'd have thought I'd picked up some Spanish out here, but I haven't actually conciously TRIED to do so, so it hasn't happened.
And, too, someday I want to visit Ireland, hopefully for an extended time. And when there, I'd like to communicate in the native language, even if it's simply in terms, words, ideas.
I wonder if there's a particular "flavor" for the region around Sligo. *smile*
BTW...yes, I agree, it IS a very gutteral language. *grin*
There is a good book called Buntus Cainte that comes with cd or tapes to listen to--might be helpful. Avoid children's dictionaries in Irish English verbiage UNLESS they specify that they offer phonetic breakdowns-I have several that I got in Ireland for my youongest and it is frustrating that the pronunciation eys fd o not exist in the books. I have some cds too that I might be able ot upload on my page if I can find them. Also, look for free online english/Irish info.
Also, the Irish is very Germaic in its pronunciation; in fact of you can read Irish, you can sometimes read German too. Alex--The Northern dialect is a twofold or sometimes threefold issue--what you hear in Belfast is not even close to Donegal, although both North. Also, Limerick is nowhere near anything else nor Cork.
I love how dedicated you are. I had an awful time when I was studying it--it is sooo much work remembering the vowel differences.
Thanks for all the info and encouragement...it's almost like Spanish, yes? So many differences!

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service