liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

RIP Ronnie Drew (16th August 2008).
A legendary Irish folk singer and musician, he founded the Ronnie Drew Group, later to be known as The Dubliners with Luke Kelly, Barney McKenna and Ciaran Bourke in 1962. He was a member of The Dubliners from 1962 to 1974 and from 1979 to 1995. From 1995 on he pursued a solo career.
He has recorded with many great artists, including Christy Moore, The Pogues, Antonio Breschi, and Eleanor Shanley amongst others. His distinctive voice has been compared to a cement mixer and the sound of coke bottles being crushed under a door.
His most successful recordings include Seven Drunken Nights, (The Dubliners), and of course, The Irish Rover (with the Pogues).
He is undoubtedly the sound of drunken Irish Sundays and St. Patricks Day across the globe.
In 2006 he underwent treatment for throat cancer. He suffered a further blow when his wife Deirdre died from cancer in June, 2007.
Ronnie was an iconic figure in Irish music

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello People,

I have heard it via the Yahoo group of Midwest Irish Radio.
I was shocked, because I thought he was doing better.
But I think that is the thing with cancer, we think it's getting better but now!!!
S.I.. I'll think of him when I hear his music.
That's the way to keep him alive in our minds.

So lets remember him Ronnie Drew.

Conny Coomans.
http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/pod-v-230208-38m58s-marianfinuca...
Few weeks ago I listened this coverage on RTE1.

I'm very sad because he was the first voice I heard from Ireland in the mid seventies.
I've just seen a bit of the funeral on www.rte.ie.
It's was beautifull and moving.
We'll raise a glass to him and drink to his life. We'll drink to his memory. We'll drink a toast to him for all the happiness he must have now that he is reunited to his wife.
His songs will continue on in our lives. Truly, the best honor to be bestowed upon a man is when his memory lives on in music.
YOU SHALL ALWAYS STAY IN OUR HEARTS RONNIE!!!!! RIP

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service