liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

All right, since i just found the button to post a topic, as it was in white ON WHITE... heheh I want to pose the following question to the rest of you.

Whats the single greatest Pub song ever? What song is it, in your opinion that is so infectious that the whole place instantly starts clapping and singing?

i'll save my answer for further down th thread, just to see what others start saying...:)

Tags: irish, jigs, music, pub, reels

Views: 1273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Besides the ones mentioned, of course "7 drunken nights" is a good one for pubs. Even better and easier to sing along drunk..at least the important part, is a song the former owner of my favorite pub used to sing..not sure if its irish, british, scots or made up.... called "MacIntyre"...something about a fire and the fire fighters quickly "saving" the alcohol... couldn't find it online after a quick search..too many macintyres in music business....lo
The song is "The Old Dun Cow" - I have a version by the Brobdingnagian Bards at home - I'll post it when I get a chance - I think it is Scottish in origin.. Slan..!!

"and we all got blue-blind paralytic drunk, when The Old Dun Cow caught fire..!!"
Dear Dabhoch, Please don't forget to post the song. It's a beaut. Thanks! SLAN!
Some friends and I in a public house
Were playing dominoes one night
When into the room a fireman came,
His face all chalky white
"What's up?" says Brown, "Have you seen a ghost?"
"Have you seen your Aunt Moriah?"
"Oh my Aunt Moriah be buggered," says he,
"The bleeding pubs on fire"

"Oh," says Brown, "What a bit of luck
Everybody follow me
It's down to the cellar if the fire's not there
Then we'll have a grand old spree"
So we all went down with good old Brown
And the booze we could not miss
And we hadn't been there ten minutes or more
Till we were quite like this
Oh, there was Brown, up side down
Mopping up the whiskey on the floor
"Booze, booze" the firemen cried
As they come a knockin' at the door
"Well don't let em in till it's all mopped up
Somebody shouted, "MacIntyre"
And we all got blue blind paralytic drunk
When the Old Dun Cow caught fire

Then Smith ran over to the port wine tub
And gave it just a few hard knocks
He started taking off his pantaloons
Likewise his shoes and socks
"Oh no," says Brown, "That t'ain't allowed
You can't do that there
Don't be washing your trotters in the port wine tub
When we got some Guinesses beer"

Then there came a mighty crash
Half the bloody room caved in
And we were drownded by the fireman's hose
Though we were almost happy
So we got some tacks and some wet old sacks
And we packed ourselves inside
And we sat there getting bleery eyed drunk
When the Old Dun Cow caught fire

Old Dun Cow
(Harry Wincott 1893)

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiOLDUNCOW;ttOLDUNCOW.html

I know they ain't Irish, but I always liked "Ramblin' Rover" by Silly Wizard.
Kobi.
You can find a great version of MacIntyre on the Def Leprechaun myspace page.
www.myspace.com/thedefleprechaunband
Slainte
Larry
Probably - "Ta Na La" and "Some Say The Devil Is Dead" - by Wolfetones. It`s great songs!
Hi Kennef,
I can tell you from first hand experience that in West Belfast "Dirty Ol' Town" always gets the whole crowd singing and clapping every time.
Lizzie Anamchara
Kobi - that's "The Night The Old Dun Cow Burned Down" - or "Caught Fire" - I think it's Scottish in origin.. http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/duncow.html - I'll post the Brobdingnagian Bards' version on my page..
Ah, the Bards!!! Marc Gunn is a hoot and does these goofy songs very well. I love his Irish Pub Songs for Cat Lovers. LOL
I feel so young and stupid, I don't know any of the pub songs you's are on about, though this may have something to do with the fact that most of the pubs that are around where I live don't play Irish pub songs. The closest Irish pub to me is about an hour away. So on this, I go and pick the most unirish pub song I know. Yes, young and stupid :D. Though I must say, I would love to hear some of these songs, that have been mentioned so far.
HEy, Kat..!! Young..?? Definitely. Stupid..?? NOT..!! Believe me, some of these songs you can afford to wait to hear..!! (even if they are fun to sing along with) Meantime, have fun and stay sweet..!!
I'm a huge fan of "the Raggle Taggle Gypsy" as well, but its not commonly played here.

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service