liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

All right, since i just found the button to post a topic, as it was in white ON WHITE... heheh I want to pose the following question to the rest of you.

Whats the single greatest Pub song ever? What song is it, in your opinion that is so infectious that the whole place instantly starts clapping and singing?

i'll save my answer for further down th thread, just to see what others start saying...:)

Tags: irish, jigs, music, pub, reels

Views: 1315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahhh, Fields of Athenry sugn after an Irish Rugby vistory....
Indeed Molly Malone (Cockles and Mussles) always does well, and everyone can sing along..
Wild Rover was mentioned, Seven drunken nights.... my personal favourite currently is "Beer beer beer", i think the Pogues... But that too changes often
Kat, you might be right... that was huge about 10 years ago here... but alas we have no real pubs where I'm from so it didn't last as no one joined in.

I would say "Wild Rover" would be the greatest pub song...

I've been a wild rover for many a year,
And I spent all my money on whiskey and beer,
But now I've returned with gold in great store,
And I never will play the wild rover no more.

And it's no, nay, never
No, nay, never, no more,
Will I play the rover
No never, no more.

etc....

it's got world-wide recognition and universal appeal.
"Whisky in the Jar"
Finnegan's wake always wakes everyone at a local place
The one we always liked was Boulavogue. It always evoked some kind of nostalgia for the boys (and lasses)
My wife has been a fan of American folk singer John Stewart for about 35 years, and subsequently I have been dragged around to John's shows for the past 18 years. It was rare that I personally liked a song of John's, but over the years we have become friends, and spent quite a bit of time with John and often with his wife Buffy as well.

John often spoke of the wonderful times he had playing Irish pubs, and I know that he made several trips to Ireland as a solo act and also when he was with The Kingston Trio. It was obvious that he had a deep affection for the Irish people, and Ireland.

This past Saturday morning in San Diego, California John passed away from a stroke that he had suffered very early Friday morning after returning from an evening of fun... visiting and playing guitar, with former Kingston Trio band mate Nick Reynolds at Nick's house in San Diego, California.

John and Buffy returned to their hotel room where John collapsed. He never regained consciousness. It is ironic that John passed away at the same hospital where he was born. In a small town that isn't too unusual... but here in the United States, with a guy who traveled the country as much as John did... that is unusual indeed.

Although John's music never really clicked with me like it did for my wife (Nancy) and his other fans... I came to appreciate the man and especially his gentleman's personality. If john liked you, years could have passed since he last saw you... Yet he would always smile, reach out to shake your hand, and call you by your proper name. Here in the States, I personally felt that he really got short-changed by the media with regards to his obituary... coverage was VERY limited, and most newspapers didn't even have the "smarts" to run a photograph.

Then I found this Irish web site and wondered if his fans in Ireland were even aware that he has passed on? I don't know if John's music would qualify for "Single Greatest Pub song ever?" but I do know that he had thousands of fans all over the world. Fans that were so together that they are actually organized into a fan club called "The Bloodliners".

John was quite a guy indeed, and never let his celebrity status enter the equation when he was spending time with me, or any fans too. I'm sorry to bring bad news to you if you didn't know, but I thought that John deserved a mention, and that Ireland should know that he has moved on.
Ok..I know its not a old song..but I'm partial to "Kiss me I'm Irish" by Gaelic Storm..it describes the Irish culture in a fun way.
So sad to hear of John's passing - I have been a fan of the Kingston Trio since my college days - If memory serves, John replaced original member Dave Guard, did he not..??
Godspeed, old friend - Ah, Johnny, we hardly knew ye..!!
in heaven there is no beer....

brilliant
Kiss the Ould Mother, Hug the Old Man
Irish rover for me

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service