liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

All right, since i just found the button to post a topic, as it was in white ON WHITE... heheh I want to pose the following question to the rest of you.

Whats the single greatest Pub song ever? What song is it, in your opinion that is so infectious that the whole place instantly starts clapping and singing?

i'll save my answer for further down th thread, just to see what others start saying...:)

Tags: irish, jigs, music, pub, reels

Views: 1299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hhhhmmmm, There are so many great pub songs, to pick one as the greatest is way to difficult ...
But some of my favorites are "Green Fields of France (Willie McBride)". , "Whiskey in a Jar", "WIld Rover", "Foggy Dew" , and can't forget about Frank Mackey - "Kiss my Irish Ass" is usually good to stir the Irish Heart ... There are so many I could go on forever ....
One of my favorites to sing along to is "Dirty Old Town"
Although it's an old tune I'd have to say The Unicorn Song by The Irish Rovers. Most people like to sing along young and old alike. So grab yourself a pint and sing away! Danny Boy deserves a mention too! Always
I forgot to mention that I liked the song that Gerard Butler liked to sing in the movie PS I LOVE YOU. I've got a brain fart and can't remember it just now. Let me know. THANX
Think you mean "Galway Girl". I like this song too.- There is a good live-version from Mundy and Sharon Shannon.
I am a fan of all Celtic music but to me the best song I ever heard in a pub either in Ireland, England or the US was the Fields of Athenry - no matter who sings it, with instrument accompaniment or a capella it is moving and meaningful.
I agree, I find it also one of the most beautiful songs. E very time when I play on my accordeon, The Fields of Athenry is one of the first songs I play
What a fun question & there's no wrong answer. A lot of songs here I like but if you want to get the place really cranked try:

Brennan on Moor

Sean South

(and everyone still loves)

Finnegan's Wake

Merry Christmas

joel,
I agree with Joel - no wrong answer everyone has their favorite to try and quantify which song is played the most would take a long time and there would still be disagreements.

Happy new year to All
No wrong answers can be given indeed! Everyone has their own personal choice and all of these songs will have their special miraculous effect to turn a night in the pub into a very special Irish moment and event.
However, the question about the most favourite pubsong stirrs up another question in my mind: Why should Irish music in particular only be fit to be played in pubs? According to myself: a day without listening to a Irish song is a day not lived! I listen, sing or whistle in my labour and in my leisure and I just can't get enough of it. It really comforts me, moves me and enthralls me any time, any place and any activity that I'm doing.
So perhaps, this also can be a very interesting question: What is your specal and favourite Irish song or tune at any time or period in your life?
I'm really curious!

Greetz,
Gary
Gary, it's the way you say it is, once Irish music gets to you, it won't let go......It's the same for me, I don't sing a lot in public, but at work I can bellow out aloud, without disturbing anyone but myself...:-) And it's funny, but often I start out with "the leaving of Loch Bran"......It's an old song by De Danann, I think Dolores Keane was the songstress in those days, but it's a lovely tune, and the lyrics are beautiful. The sense of loss, of leaving everything behind to go in search of a better life. Very much so is the song "Kilkelly", When I sing that, I can even make MYSELF cry...:-) And for indulgence sake I'll stop at my 3rd place "The Town I loved so well' by Luke Kelly. Luke's my hero, nothing can beat him....And as for the pub songs, yeah, I think Wild Rover will cause a riot, but with the above songs you'll have them all silent.....

cheers, Kees
THE MOST infectious PUB tune...And its NO NAY NEVER.. NO NEVER NO MORE will I play the Wild Rover NO NEVER NO MORE!
YES....Even the Italians will sing it!

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service