liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

What's everyone's favorite Irish or Celtic group? I like John Doan, Celtic Woman, and The Wolfe Tones. ("You'll Never Beat the Irish" by Wolfe Tones is absolutely great!) I'm looking for all kinds of new groups, so be sure to throw any names into the discussion when you feel like doing so. Thanks, people!

Views: 5396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm partial to Fadó (from the album Landmarks) myself, and, erm, pretty much all of them that I've heard.
I think the single greatest singer is Luke Kelly, his version of "Shoals of Herring" is amazing. Check us out "Boston's Erin Og" at http://www.myspace.com/erinog
Planxty
There is a group that tours the US and Ireland called The Elders. They are great! wwww.myspace.com/theelders. They have a very large fan base in the US and they are touring Ireland in February. They appeal to all age ranges too. There are a lot of good ones out there, and one that played at the KC Irish Fest a couple of years ago, The Republic of Fuschia Land, was really good, but haven't heard from them lately....
Wow, that's no easy question.

Right now I have altan, karen casey and eleanor mcevoy on my ipod. But at any given time I'll tune into the Waterboys, the Sawdoctors (Davey & Leo still sound good to me), Christy and we have to include Dougie McLean. And it's hard to leave out the wonder from down under, Eric Bogle and Tommy Sands and the Sands Family. Finally I can always get up for a couple of hours of head bangin' Irish punk.

There's a lot of great stuff out there that unfortunately the mainstream is missing.

joel
joel said:
Wow, that's no easy question.

Right now I have altan, karen casey and eleanor mcevoy on my ipod. But at any given time I'll tune into the Waterboys, the Sawdoctors (Davey & Leo still sound good to me), Christy and we have to include Dougie McLean. And it's hard to leave out the wonder from down under, Eric Bogle and Tommy Sands and the Sands Family. Finally I can always get up for a couple of hours of head bangin' Irish punk.

There's a lot of great stuff out there that unfortunately the mainstream is missing.

joel

Mainstream is rarely right; they are too interested in what a few people say is cool. Just look at the topics covered in their music! Far better to be in the minority and actually enjoy quality music. Who's with me!

Thanks everyone for your replies!
wolfe tones , gwendal , beleño , alan stivell , dubliners , altan , llan de cubel , luar na lubre , maite dono , ..... love all celtic music ^^
U2 of course is my favorite Irish band.....the old U2. The Chieftans and Clannad are really good. Saw the Chieftans many years ago in NY and they put on a great old Irish show.
1 - Celtic Woman
2 - The Chieftans
3 - Enya...yes, a single not group
4 - Irish Rovers
Hi from Turkey...

My favourite Irish bands are
1)The Corrs
2) U2
3) Dervish
Ahh to be honest...anything and everything Irish.......
ive known to sing to the moon!!!The uillean pipes do it to me everytime...........nothing finer seeping into ones soul....Irish has a way of getting in there and twisting it through your veins....so insaying Im proud of my Motherland and its music...slainte

Tolga said:
Hi from Turkey...

My favourite Irish bands are
1)The Corrs
2) U2
3) Dervish
Too many to mention but I am very fond of Donal Lunney (Journey is amazing) Christy Moore Andy Irvine etc, Danu, Kila, Solas, Dervish, Capercaillie, Flook, The Waterboys and of course The Pogues! I rarely listen to any mainstream music, mostly Irish and related styles. Irish music KICKS ASS!!!!

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service