liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

What's everyone's favorite Irish or Celtic group? I like John Doan, Celtic Woman, and The Wolfe Tones. ("You'll Never Beat the Irish" by Wolfe Tones is absolutely great!) I'm looking for all kinds of new groups, so be sure to throw any names into the discussion when you feel like doing so. Thanks, people!

Views: 5575

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the tip; I will definitely look for it!
isay by far celtic thunder
they don't play at Dan McGuinness anymore that I can think of. Shaun open his own pub in Nashville and They play there now from thursday to sunday. But they are awesome. When was the last time that you went to watch them play?
I really don't have a favourite... I guess it depends on my mood at the time.
the Pogues :)
My favorite Irish group is Altan. I got to see Frankie Kennedy and Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh perform at a small folk festival in Maine in 1986, about the time they were releasing their first CD. A few years later I got to see Altan in Massachusetts.

Other Irish favorites over the years have been the Bothy Band, DeDannan, Clannad and Planxty.

Since part of my ancestry is Scottish, I should mention I also like Silly Wizard and Ossian from the '70s and '80s, as well as the more contemporary group Capercaillie.

LI has introduced me recently to some great groups such as Flook, Danu, Solas, The Bridies, and the Afro Celt Sound System, and I'm hearing new stuff all the time.
flook and solas are great.
paolo nutini is half italian
:)
Simple: The Pogues. These guys do the best job of combining amazing Irish music with the other musical love of my life, punk rock.

I was lucky enough to hang out with The Pogues when they were in San Francisco. Three days of tremendous fun! Shane was stuck in Japan, so Joe Strummer was singing. What a great three days - Pogues music, beers with the fellas, and long talks with my hero, Joe. After the last show, Joe and I were downstairs, drinking the last few beers, and I gave him my Grandfather's lighter from WWI. I explained that my grampa was my other hero. Joe, being a little guy (or maybe it's because I'm 6'3'') looked up at me with a tear in his eye and thanked me and you could tell he really appreciated it.

Spider, Phil, all the guys were amazingly cool, too. Good guys, great music, and the more pints you have the better you remember the words and the sweeter they sound coming out.

The Pogues!
...how fun...! ...the pogues are one oftoo my favs too...!!!
1. The Cranberries
2. Banshee
3. The Corrs ( thanks Erin )
4. Paddy Gibney
5. And of course the music of Patrick O'Conner
Clannad. I'm surprised that no one mentioned Clannad by now.
http://www.clannad.ie/

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service