liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

What's everyone's favorite Irish or Celtic group? I like John Doan, Celtic Woman, and The Wolfe Tones. ("You'll Never Beat the Irish" by Wolfe Tones is absolutely great!) I'm looking for all kinds of new groups, so be sure to throw any names into the discussion when you feel like doing so. Thanks, people!

Views: 5567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Suisan,
I had a listen to them on the band's website and made sure I voted. Thanks for sharing.
David
The High Kings
Iarla O'Lionard
Derek Bell
Urban Trad
Capercaillie
Aoife Ni Fhearraigh
Planxty.....
Since the time I answered this thread I found some more interesting Irish Music singers / groups. Right now I would like to know a little bit more about Cu Chulainn. Does anybody know something about them? I`ve got the CD "The Cream Of Irish Folk" but I would like to know more about them. Have you any informations, Links whatever? I would be also interested in informationes about Dave Gibb and Terry O´Neill. Thanks from an uninformed Austrian :-)
Doris
My favorite all-time Irish group is The Clancy Brothers with Tommy Makem. After that comes The Dubliners, The Chieftans, Planxty, and Clannad.
Thank you, everyone! You've had so many great suggestions. I'll add that I have always liked Susan McKeown's "Bushes and Briars, for those interested :)

And, congrats to everyone on making this a featured discussion! Eirinn go bragh!
Irish Music is the generic term for music that has been created in various genres on the island of Ireland. The indigenous music of the island is termed Irish traditional music. It has remained vibrant through the 20th, and into the 21st century, despite globalizing cultural forces. In spite of emigration and a well-developed connection to music influences from Britain and the United States, Irish music has kept many of its traditional aspects and has itself influenced many forms of music, such as country and roots music in the USA, which in turn have had some influence on modern rock music. It has occasionally been fused with rock and roll, punk rock and other genres. Some of these fusion artists have attained mainstream success, at home and abroad.
ccna
Celine Donoghue top banjo and fiddle player.
While not a band that plays traditional Irish music, a great Irish band I have been listening to for the last year or so and who have been around since the 1980s are The Saw Doctors. I was fortunate to see them play live in Hobart on their Australian tour. They were great people as well as musicians and made time to chat to my son and other members of Daideo and the Blue Mosquitoes, who played support for that gig. What I love about them is that their music is upbeat and you leave at the end of the night feeling on top of the world. Video of one of their Sydney concerts is freely available at http://www.moshcam.com/the-saw-doctors/metro-theatre-787.aspx
My favorite was, is, and will always be Nightnoise. They're the group that brought me into Irish music about 15 years ago, and although I've since come to appreciate everything from Enya to Leo Rowsome, Nightnoise remains my favorite.
HI All,
My favorite Irish groups covers quite a period of time First and foremost is Christy Moore who is now on his own but
was involved with Planxty and Moving Hearts.. Celtic Women appeared here in State College at the Bryce Jordon Center which is located on the Penn State Campus. Each performance was a sell out. I have seen Celtic Thunder on PBS ( Public
Broadcast System) They have done a collection of Celt/Irish music plus a few tunes from the US thrown in. I think that since I've hooked up with Live Ireland I'll find more. As a matter of fact, since I've hooked into this program I've basically almost given up on TV.

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service