liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

The Dawning of the Year
by Mary Elizabeth Blake

If you ever wondered where "Top o' the morning" came from, here it is:
T'anam chun Dia! but there it is-
The dawn on the hills of Ireland!
God's angels lifting the nights's black veil
From the fair, sweet face of my sireland!
O, Ireland! isn't it grand to look-
Like a bride in her rich adornin'!
With all the pent-up love of my heart
I bid you the top o'the morning'!

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tá sé go hálainn! T'anam chun Dia! Your soul towards God! What a lovely poem. I look at Gods beauty in much the same way and I too get choked up.
We Irish are just sentimental fools, aren't we!

Slán agus beannacht leat,
Robert
Whenever I get too full of myself,
And all puffed up with pride,
I go outside of a clear, cold night
And contemplate the stars.

Faced with the vastness
Of God's creation,
All I have accomplish'd
Seems petty and mean.

Once again I return to myself,
Wondering at man's presumption.
How can any one man
Set himself above another?

Eternal questions like this
Serve to feed the soul.

(Wow..!! Did I just compose this myself..??)
Pierre,

I am more comfortable writing poetry (however good or bad) than reviewing it. (This is Frank’s domain and what a tremendous job he does). Notwithstanding this . . . wonderful poem by Seamus Heaney. Powerful imagery. I love the way he ties together the last line with the first using ‘barley’. One, to let the reader know that these were Irish country people, peasants, armed mostly with pikes (more adept at planting crops than fighting the professional armies of the English Crown). And two, even in death, when cut down on the battlefield (perhaps in their very own fields) - buried without humanity - their rebellious spirit was regenerated and ‘grew out of the grave’. The poem relates to the Irish rebellion of 1798 and more particular the Battle of Vinegar Hill (Co. Wexford). Check out ‘Google’ for more on this fascinating period of Irish history.

Walter . . .
Dabhoch,

What is it about the pages of LI that brings out the poet in us? I thoroughly enjoyed your poem. Think of a title . . . it’s a keeper. And yes, we are all susceptible to being ‘puffed up with pride’. Perhaps too often! Keep taking those walks in the ‘clear, cold night’, you’re not alone . . . I’m right behind you.

Walter . . .
WOW Dabh! I am so impressed with your vision of God's great vastness of creation. It is beautiful isn't it. How we are so small in the vastly great world. I am truly enjoying that so many of you are getting so involved in the poetry forum. I am learning much from it myself. Take care my friend.
Lisa

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service