liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Song

by Thomas Moore
the greatest Irish lyrist
born Dublin, 1779 - died 1852
Have you not seen the timid tear
Steal trembling from mine eye?
Have you not mark'd the flush of fear,
Or caught the murmur'd sigh?
And can you think my love is chill,
Nor fix'd on you alone?
And can you rend, by doubting still,
A heart so much your own?

To you my soul's affections move
Devoutly, warmly, true:
My life has been a task of love,
One long, long thought of you.
If all your tender faith is o'er,
If still my truth you'll try;
Alas! I know but one proof more -
I'll bless your name, and die!

Views: 5600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dia dhuit a Pierre;
Thank You so much for your wonderful comment.As always they make me feel really good. There is always such warmth & kindness to all you write and I always look forward to hearing from you.I wish you a world of love and happiness to you and yours.
Go Mbeanna dia dhit. Slan...Colleen
Dear all,
I have just recently joined this discussion. Forgive me as I am not an expert in blogs/forums or much good with these sorts of things.

However I am in need of some poetic advice which led me to this lovely passionate site.
At the ripe age o 32 I will be getting married Easter Mon next (april 5th). Both my fiance and I live i London and are going back home to Ireland to share love laughter song and dance with everyone as we walk up the aisle as man and wife. We both met when we were 14 and went to school together. Once we both left for College we didnt see each other for 10 yrs until Eoin moved to London where we met at a party. Now 3 years down the line after re-establishing a old flame and friendship, our love is taking us back to our hometown, home mutual friends and family. .
So I am looking for an irish poem to put on our invitations to emphasise the meaning of true love, Ireland and going back home. I have always admired Kavanagh but nothing seems to fit... Stony grey soil is not quite apt for a wedding day?

Any thoughts would be so deeply appreciated. I am very passionate about irish culture inc song and prose and want to incororate it into our beautiful proud day.
Thank you kindly
Hilary
Ah Pierre, This is beautiful! It has a way of drawing you into the poem itself! I love it!
Go mbeanni Dia duit ♥ Sláinte agus saol agat to you and yours!
Your friend, Colleen ♥☺✩!!!
thank you so much for the lovely poem.
After all my reading and searching , we have gone back to basics with quotes from the song "She Moved Through The Fair"... We were cooking dinner one evening and singng away to it and I thought those lyrics are perfect!!
So on the front on my wedding invitation it will say "my young love said to me It will not be long now love til our weding day"

But loving all your poetry. Sorry not been on here more often.
I'm in mist of job hunting and wedding planning!

go raibh mile maith agat
L
I love thomas Moore .....I'll bless your name, and die!
Good poeme , thank's my friend ....Photobucket
"TOWARDS BREAK OF DAY" is a Beautiful poem just as all of Wb Yeats poems are. This is what poetry is all about! Here is another Wb Yeats Poems, also one of my faves...

I Am Of Ireland by William Butler Yeats

'I am of Ireland,
And the Holy Land of Ireland,
And time runs on,' cried she.
'Come out of charity,
Come dance with me in Ireland.'

One man, one man alone
In that outlandish gear,
One solitary man
Of all that rambled there
Had turned his stately head.
That is a long way off,
And time runs on,' he said,
'And the night grows rough.'

'I am of Ireland,
'Come out of charity
And dance with me in Ireland.'

'The fiddlers are all thumbs,
Or the fiddle-string accursed,
The drums and the kettledrums
And the trumpets all are burst,
And the trombone,' cried he,
'The trumpet and trombone,'
And cocked a malicious eye,
'But time runs on, runs on.'

I am of Ireland,
"Come out of charity
And dance with me in Ireland.'
THANK YOU PIERRE! THAT IS AN AWSOME POEM AND ONE OF MY FAVORITES! THANX FOR THE COMMENT!
Go mbeanni Dia Duit...Colleen
Look up the poem A White Rose by John Boyle O'Reilly. He must have been deeply in love when he penned this one.
The red rose is a falcon
The white rose is a dove
The red rose whispers of passion
and the white rose breathes of love...
WB Yeats is one of the greatest poets ever..His poems are always so powerful but yet gentle and beautiful..He is my favorite poet of all times and it's poems such as this one that makes him such a brilliant writer / poet!...
Fantastic poem Pierre! Thanks for sharing it!
Mora na maidine dhuit, Pierre..
Cant wait till it's finished!
I would love to read it.
Thanks Pierre...slan go foill!...
♥ Go mbeanni Dia Duit♥ ... Colleen
Hóigh! Cara! Thanks Pierre...
i'll be watching for it!
Sláinte...Slán go fóill!
Colleen
THAT IS POSITIVELY WONDERFUL! I SO LOVED THAT! SO MUCH REMINDS ME AGAIN OF HOME AND WHEN I WAS YOUNG!
LIFE PASSES BY JUST WAY TO QUICK AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, IT'S GONE. WE ALL NEED TO STOP AND TAKE TIME TO ABSORB EVERYTHING TODAY FOR IT WILL BE TOMARROWS MEMORY! EXCELENT PIERRE!...
Go raibh (míle) maith agat! Beannacht Dé leat!
COLLEEN

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service