liveIreland

Irish Internet Radio and TV from Dublin, Ireland.

Picked up a recipe book at Kate Kernan's Cottage and when I got back to Canada, I discovered that it was written in German. hahahaha
I would love a good recipe for Soda Bread. I don't want to use those prepackaged ones. As of March 27/08 I am standing up to my mouth in Soda Bread recipes.
Please just start a new Discussion if you have something else tasty to share and we can all take a look.

Views: 65

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a recipe I have done several times, and it's always a hit..!!

Irish Roast Beast
Grease or spray inside of 4 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
OR
Preheat oven to 325, rack in middle
16 ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
6 ounce can tomato sauce (I used 8 cuz I couldn't find 6)
12 ounce bottle of stout beer (Guinness Stout, what else?)
2 tsp rosemary (I used fresh off the stalk)
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1 tsp sweet basil (I used fresh)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
boneless chuck or rump roast 4 to 5 pounds (I learned from the butcher that chuck makes better "shredded" for sandwiches so I went with that - thinking leftovers)
.88 ounce packet beef gravy mix
Mix all ingredients except the meat and the gravy mix in a large bowl. Put a half cup of the mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker. Set the meat in and pour the rest of the sauce over the top.
Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8 to 10 hours (if you are late putting this up in the cooker, you can cook it at HIGH for 6 to 7 hours)
When the meat is easily pierced by a fork, (author likes hers practically falling apart), remove it from the sauce, cut it in chunks and put it on a platter. Cover the platter with foil so it will stay warm.
Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and sprinkle in the packet of beef gravy mix. Stir until the sauce has thickened. To serve, drizzle some of the sauce over the meat on the platter. Put the rest in a gravy boat or small pitcher for the table.
If you choose to do this in the oven: Grease or spray inside a roasting pan with non-stick spray. Follow the directions above and cover the pan tightly with heavy-duty foil. Bake at 325 for five to six hours or until easily pierced by a fork. Take off foil and let it brown in oven for another 45 minutes. Thicken the gravy in a saucepan over medium heat as described above.
Enjoy!
I have a soda bread recipe that and it comes out pretty goodit follows as:
4 cups of whole wheat flour. 1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt 2 cups white flour
1 teaspon cream of tartar 1 cup butter milk
1 cup golden raisans if desired

mix all ingredients together to make a stiff dough bisquit almost flatten to about 1 1/2 thick and cut a cross on top of dough so it bakes evenly. bake at 375 for 40 to 50 min. take let cool slightly. then it's ready to eat

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service